If you’re living in the Sunshine State, you know that there’s a downside to sun-filled days on the beach, and that’s sun damage. The Skin Cancer Foundation says too much sun can also cause precancerous conditions, such as actinic keratosis, and skin cancer.
The good news is that it happens gradually, and you still have time to start a regimen to keep it from getting worse. With up to 90 percent of skin damage caused by the sun, it’s easy to know where to start.
How to Get Rid of Sun Damage
- Wear sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher all year long. Daily use will keep you looking younger and lower your chances of getting skin cancer.
- Hydrate. When you’re around sun, chlorine and salt, your skin dries out. First, drink lots of water. Creams with alpha hydroxy or hyaluronic acid brighten the face, and moisturizers work well on the hands, arms, and feet.
- Exfoliate. The outer layers of skin build up and give a blotched, uneven texture. Scrubs, loofas, acids like alpha hydroxy, and do-it-yourself dermabrasion kits help you to look younger and more radiant.
- Avoid the sun. Ultraviolet (UV) light can cause precancerous spots like actinic keratoses, or it can lead to skin cancer. Always wear a hat, limit exposure, and avoid the mid-day sun.
- Bleach. Skin lighteners help to lighten brown spots, but they don’t lighten your skin tone. Products that contain kojic acid and Retin-A, steroid cream, or hydroquinone are effective and easy to use.
- Use an at-home light-emitting diode (LED) to reduce fine lines and wrinkles, improve acne, and encourage collagen production.
- See a dermatologist. If DIY tricks and a good skin regimen don’t do the trick, you still have options in the doctor’s office. Laser treatments work for everything from wrinkles to blotchiness. A combination of aminolevulinic acid and intense pulsed light can do wonders for scaly skin.
Where to Learn More About How to Reverse Sun Damage
If you’re looking to reverse skin-related sun damage, you have plenty of options. At Divine Laser & Spa, we offer sun damage treatments that may help you regain your youthful skin. Contact us today for more information.